Thursday, June 01, 2006

How I love the rain! It has been raining for the past two days in Bombay. The respite from the cruel Indian May summer, the smell of wet earth, the cool wind and the greenery. Even a city like Bombay which lacks trees (unlike a Delhi or a Calcutta) looks green and clean. Oh yes, I do love the first few days of rain. Before the slush gets to you, and the city starts looking and feeling dirty and before Bombay starts flooding.

I do love the rains, though it makes me rather nostalgic. It is the only time in the year when I wish I were younger, a school girl again. For one, I would have rainy-holidays. The heartless office administration people cut leave (and in the absence of leave actually deduct one’s salary) if you bunk office because of rain.

But what I hate most about being a grown-up during the rains is not being able to give in to the impulse of getting wet in the rain. Yes, I know. Even full-grown mature adults can enjoy getting wet in the rain. Unfortunately, it is not that simple.

Take the other day at office for instance. It was raining and it looked so inviting. I almost ran into the rain. But I stopped short of five steps. I started thinking. What would happen to the Rs. 4000 watch? (My Rs. 4000 watch is rather fancy and very expensive but not water-proof.) I could have taken off the watch of course but then realised that I would have to take off my expensive sandals as well. (I am not one to spend too much on shoes but it was one of those times when I really pampered myself). Screw the sandals I thought for one brief impulsive moment and stepped closer to the rain, just three steps away. And I stopped yet again. What would happen to my beloved mobile (you know the expensive mobile I justify by calling it an investment)? Couldn’t get that wet, could I now! I looked around for somebody who would hold on to my mobile while I danced in the rain. Ah, another colleague looking longingly at the rain. I handed the mobile to him. Then I realised I had a second mobile too (Don’t ask me why I am carrying two mobiles. It is rather complicated and very frustrating. Let it suffice by saying that I didn’t want the second one). Frustrated, standing three steps away from the rain, with little drops of water teasing my face, the realisation struck me. Even if I got rid of all my accessories I could still not get wet. I had two important meetings lined up. And though wet clothes might look sexy on Mandakini, it makes me look like a wet street dog.

So there it is. The tragedy of being a grown-up. Sigh! I do love the rain.

(WARNING: This love is usually very short-lived. It lasts for approximately 10 days. After that I can willingly write a post on why I hate the rainy season. And if I don’t get too busy with work again, I just might.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home