Thursday, July 08, 2004

The other evening I was watching Spiderman on HBO. Totally engrossed in the movie, I watched sadly as they lowered Spiderman’s Uncle’s coffin into his grave. The words, though not spoken at that point of the movie, were resounding in my ears. 'With great power comes great responsibility.'
My roommate S entered the room at that point and said “It is really heavy when you lower a coffin.”
I nodded my head in sad acknowledgement and said softly “ I can imagine. For us, it is the hardest when we are cremating the person. That is the point when it really hits you that the person is dead and gone forever….”
“No. No.” S quickly rectified me. “I was saying that the family has to carry the coffin and lower it. And it gets really heavy. Why some of the coffins are made of really heavy wood.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home