Thursday, July 24, 2003

I am not unfaithful. I am not. I did not mean to break his trust. It was not what it seemed. Let me explain the situation better. Then you can tell me what could I have done. I was a victim of the situation. I was not to blame.
There is a kirana store very close to my house where I usually make all my grocery purchases. They deliver to my house, which is a boon, cause most days after office I feel too lazy to make the effort. Now, this shop (the only general store in a one square km radius), somehow manages to never have what I need, except for the basic bread, eggs and milk (very seldom am I lucky to get butter or cheese here). Now, me being the person I am, I’m very chatty with the shop-keeper. (I took my PR paper seriously!) Jokes apart, I usually tend to have a friendly relationship with all shop-keepers, electricians, plumbers, etc.
Yesterday, I had a long list of things I needed. And some of the things, chicken for instance, I knew for sure that I would not get in this shop. So I called up the closest super-market (which also believes in home-delivery. Thank God for CRM!) and gave them my entire list.
Now tell me, if I am ordering most of my stuff from the super-market, does it not make sense to order all the stuff that I need? I hear you saying yes, so I shall proceed. So, I ordered bread and eggs (which I usually order from the kirana store) as well. But after I disconnected the call I realised that I didn’t have a drop of drinking water in the house. So this time I called up the kirana store and asked them to deliver two bottles of mineral water.
When I heard the bell ring I thought that the water had come, since the kirana store is barely a stone’s throw away whereas the super-market is almost two kilometres away. But, efficiency thy name is super-markets, a huge bag of grocery had arrived. An unfamiliar bearded man stood at my doorstep and I gave him a hesitant smile. He smiled back as he stretched his hand out to give me a packet of eggs. (Eggs are never kept with the other stuff because they always break.)
So, as I was saying he stretched his hands to give me the eggs. And, at that opportune moment, walked in the shopkeeper from the kirana store. (Why him? Why couldn’t it be the boy who usually delivers?) I saw his eyes take in the scene. Our hands stretched out. The bearded man’s hands holding the packet and mine taking it. He looked at the packet. I could hear him say ‘eggs’ mentally. I turned pink to my toes. I wanted to scream out. No no! I am not cheating on you. It is not what it seems. But all that came out of my lips were a squeaky “Kitna hua Bhaiya?” (How much is it?) knowing fully well the price of two bottles of mineral water. I paid him first, not daring to look into his eyes. He took the money quietly and went off with a word. No pleasantries like we usually exchange. No smiles. Nothing. He took one last look at the bearded man and walked out.
Tell me that I did no wrong. How do I ask for vindication? Throw myself at his mercy and ask for forgiveness? How? How?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home