Thursday, July 17, 2003

Some years back, when Mamma and I had discussed marriage, both of us had agreed that the best option was that I elope. The reason being that my parents would be obliged to call a million people. And I would hate that. Marriage is supposed to be a special occasion which you share only with a few special people. So if I eloped, they would conveniently blame it on the daughter. “The youth of today have no consideration for their parents!”
Result: Everyone’s happy.
A few days later my mother came across some old stuff that she had packed away in a wooden box. A tattered blue sari, my father’s first present to her. Lots and lots of letters, my parents sure had some courtship! And her wedding sari, a gorgeous brocade cloth interwoven with the most beautiful hues of coloured threads. I told her how lovely it was and she told me that I could wear it for my wedding if I wished to.
Imagine what my answer will be when the man in my life proposes marriage.
• Yes. I will marry you.
• But, we are going to elope and get married.
• And, I want to marry wearing my mother’s wedding sari, which considering its age will leave a trail of torn cloth behind as we elope.
Now, I think no man who reads this would ever want to every marry me!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home