Thursday, July 17, 2003

Women are superstitious. Much more than men. It is a known and accepted fact. I read an article the other day which was about some research conducted in Britain. The findings claimed that women are much more superstitious than men and that women have a 60% higher probability of dying in a car accident on Friday the 13th. How specific is that? Don’t they say that is possible to find statistics to prove anything in the world! You take a sample of 100 Mormons and you’ll get findings which say that “Men feel virile only if they have 20 wives”!
Going back to superstitions, I know that however I convince myself that I am a sane and sensible person, I know in my heart of hearts that I can be extremely superstitious. I laugh at Ma but I do the same things. I don’t cut my hair or my nails on a Monday. I never ever step on a book or newspaper. I always touch my head (which for some strange reason is meant to be a substitute for wood) and say touchwood when I talk about something good that’s happening to me. I always cross my fingers (while chanting Ram Ram) while walking back late night on a lonely road. (Laugh all you want!)
People often tell me that I live in the past. I do. I accept it. But that’s because I’ve grown up believing that you should never talk about the good things in your Present or your Future. If you do then the good things slip out of your hand. Yes, another superstition. So, if you are going to get a promotion, don’t talk about it till you get it and you’re on the way to get your next one. If you’re in love, don’t talk about it till you are engaged, married and have three children.
Tell me then, is it my fault that I live in the past?
Damn! Am I even supposed to talk about this? Do bad things start happening when you question the power of superstition?
Cross my heart.
Hope to die.
Never again
Shall I try

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home