Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Today is just one of those days.
I remember coming home from work last night at some unearthly hour and passing out on my bed despite the damn crows croaking outside. I must barely shut my eyes and it was time to wake up. My roommate S and I were running very late for work (When I say late I mean too late to be early. Our intention had been to get to work an hour early.) I ended up taking a cab to office, something I just cannot afford this month, and generously offered to give S a lift. We passed this fabulously expensive restaurant that serves the yummiest and the most fabulously expensive plaits. Obviously the temptation was too strong to resist. (Moral of the story is that once you start spending money there’s no end to it.) We were at a signal, happily munching away our fabulously expensive plait, when a young boy with a baby hanging from his shoulders approached our cab and started begging.
‘Didi, das rupaye de do, bacche ko doodh pilana hai. Bhagwan aapko sukhi rakhe. Aap dono ki jodi salamat rakhe.’
S and I looked at each other. Had we heard correct? Eww Eww Eww!
We have now decided that we will start spending more time with other people.

1 Comments:

Blogger death said...

yeah, maybe you should've given the boy some alms.

He might have saved you

February 9, 2006 at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home