Friday, July 23, 2004

Being a boss is not an easy task.

I am an awful person to work for, or so my friend said. I’d like to disagree on that. What is so bad about asking your junior to make a proper job list and updating you on the status of jobs by end of the day? So what if you are organized (hyper according to my friend) about everything. What is so wrong with asking for up-to-date files for layouts, artworks, estimates, bills, etc, etc. Then categorize and classify the files for easy access and understanding. In a profession like advertising, being organized is essential. Order in the chaos. It is true that I thrive on lists. And the number of lists can be mind-boggling, I admit. Thus, I have a list for lists. Now, what is so bad about that?

The task of being in-charge of another person becomes so much more arduous when he is a complete dimwit. Oh alright, to give him some credit, he is street smart. But he probably leaves his brains behind in the street when he comes to office. If he spent less time on his cell phone, chatting on the messenger, chatting up the girls in the office and going for two-hour lunches (not to mention coming to work two hours late everyday), he might have been a great help.

Yesterday, he was trying to solve a Mensa test, while I was running around like a crazy fool, panting like a dog and trying to get work done. I sometimes remind myself of Grace (of Will & Grace). The similarity in the inept smart-mouthed assistants cannot be missed. I reached my workstation ready to drop to the floor when I saw that he was sitting on my seat, sipping coffee and solving the Mensa test.

The clue was ‘8 T on an O’. And he keyed in ‘8 testicles on an Octopus.’ False flashed on the screen. He scratched his head and then looked up to where I, unable to control myself, was having a laughing fit.

Unable to understand why I was laughing, he started gloating. “See. I have got an above 18 score. I am a genius.” I guess I should be thankful he didn’t say that he was a genital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home