Thursday, December 01, 2005

I have a song for everybody I know. Not the same song of course, but different songs for different people. It’s not a conscious allocation. I have not deliberately decided that a particular song goes with a certain person. Also, there’s no logic to the allocation. For instance, my song for my mother is not a lullaby that she sang to me often but ‘Killing me softly’. I think she sang it to my father once, a small tender moment now lost in the past. But that stuck in my head, the hazy memory and the song.

Over the years, I have lost touch with some people. Days and months may pass by without me giving them a thought. But a few strains from a song (one of the songs allocated to them in my mind) and the memories come flashing back.

The song that’s been in my head today made me think of him…..

Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper ‘I love
singin' in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me

Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me

Yes, sometimes I do think of you. Still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home