Monday, June 26, 2006

If you asked me whether I am looking around for a job-change, my immediate (honest) answer would be ‘No’. If you ask me why/ why not, my answer would vary slightly depending on who you are.

If you are a friend, I’ll probably say, “What man, who’ll give me a job?” (The false modesty disguising my basic reticence to move and the high comfort factor in my current job). If you’re a batch-mate who has switched professions and doing well (selling credit cards or loans) somewhere or worse an IIM-graduate speaking condescendingly, I would probably say, “For what? Advertising pays peanuts everywhere. What’s the point of being the same monkey and getting transferred to a new zoo just to eat the same damn peanuts?” (Yeah, sometimes grapes are sour.) If you’re my parents I would say, “Move? But it’s only been three years. And unlike the other people in my generation, I believe in sticking it out in the same job. It shows my perseverance, loyalty, etc, etc” (Of course, they’d never believe the shit, but they’d like to hear it all the same.) If you’re a placement consultant, I would tell you, “I am very happy with my current job. I love my job. Good organisation, good bosses, etc, etc…...” (I strategically leave the sentence hanging. I have perfected the art of doing so. It means, the going is great but do call me if you want to make me an offer I can’t refuse. And no bleeding horse heads under my blanket, thank you.)

Having given all the different versions of the same answer I would give to different people, I would like to confess that I still go through all the job openings in our Alumni HR group mails. No, no. I’m really not looking around for a change in job. I am just window-shopping. I don’t have to buy anything. Come on, let’s be practical. In today’s day and age you just have to be aware about everything. Or you could end up missing a super-duper sale.

But all said and done, I do have my principles. I never go for interviews. I never even fix them up. No, that would be stretching the window-shopping bit too far. Besides, it would be like cheating on your partner. It’s a rule. You never go out for coffee or a ‘harmless’ drink. Nothing is harmless. You need to know where to draw the line. You can look. Looking is allowed. But no getting close. And definitely no touching. Unless of course you have decided to be unfaithful. Now that’s a completely different ball game. But we shall keep if for another day. I have been typing for a while, and I get rather tired of typing on my key-board. I need a new one as this one is fairly old. I am not complaining, of course. Why would I do that? I love my job. Good organisation, good bosses, etc, etc….. (Wink, wink).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home