Tuesday, November 23, 2004

I shall not sleep tonight. Every time I close my eyes I can see HER eyes gleaming. HER laugh is still reverberating in my head. I should not have had evil thoughts about HER. Forgive me God, for I have sinned. Redeem me! Redeem me!

Flashback to morning:

V and I were already late for office and V was driving as fast as she could in the jammed roads that mornings in Mumbai are famous for. When I say she was driving fast I mean she was driving at a reasonable pace, maintaining the requisite safe distance between her car and the car in front, driving in one line, using her indicator when she switches lanes. You get the idea. V is a good driver.

So, V was driving at a reasonable pace, maintaining the requisite safe distance between her car and the car in front, driving in one line, using her indicator when she switches lanes. And then the car in front of us turned into a by-lane and we found ourselves behind HER car.

SHE was busy looking into the rear view mirror when the traffic started moving. No amount of honking made HER move. We waited till SHE finished admiring herself in the mirror. Then SHE started the car with a lethargy that irritated us further. We missed the green light by seconds. Grrrr! Only if SHE had started moving 5 seconds earlier. This was at one of those awful signals where you have to wait and wait. So we waited and waited for the lights to turn green and SHE was back to admiring herself in the rear view mirror.

The lights finally turned green. We moved at a snail’s pace for the next ten minutes, helped neither by the traffic nor by HER. SHE was slow and inept. HER car jerked every time SHE moved it two inches. You know, one of those people who just don’t get the clutch- accelerator coordination right. With every passing moment V and I were getting increasingly frustrated.

Then V pushed her foot on the accelerator and said ‘That’s it!’. She switched lanes and soon we were moving at a speed admirable in a traffic jam. I could actually feel the wind in my face. When we managed to evade getting caught at the next signal, V and I whooped in joy. I was tempted to put my head out of my window and make faces at HER as we whizzed away. I was unable to stretch myself around the car to face the other side where SHE was (still admiring herself in the rear view mirror), so I did it in my mind.

AND THEN, we got caught by the traffic police. V had jumped the signal or so they claimed. For the next ten minutes, I waited in the car while V argued with the cops. As I drummed my fingers on the dashboard knowing that now we would surely be late for office, SHE passed. HER car jerking and twitching as SHE crossed V’s car. SHE turned to look back and HER eyes met mine. Suddenly all went dark and quiet. HER eyes gleamed scarily as she laughed like the devil’s own…..


Redeem me God! Redeem me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home