Tuesday, June 24, 2003

She was tiny when she first came. Barely a month old, way too young to be separated from her mother. She and her sister, brought in the arms of our vet’s helper. She seemed to be the weakest of the litter. Small and quivering. Her sister was much more confident, running around in our huge hall. I knelt down on my knees overcome with the joy that the two little pups brought to my heart. She quietly came to me, climbed my lap and refused to budge. And I lost my heart to her. I knew even then that I would love her like no other.
The choice was a difficult one. It is always advised to stay away from the weakest in the litter. My parents felt that her sister was a better choice, but I was adamant. She needs us, she needs me. I can’t let her go. My parents, being the sweethearts that they are, humoured me. And she became the new addition to our family.
The quiet little flea-ridden puppy with the lost look in her eyes. The sad one, who demanded to be loved. Ha! Were we mistaken! Never ever, my friends, judge a book by its cover. She turned out to be quite a terror. It is her ploy, even now. Any guest in the house comments on what a quiet sweet little thing she is. We just smile knowingly, my smile just a little indulgent. She is, after all, my baby.
She’s soft and her skin is smooth as satin. She’s got the most beautiful doggy smell. She’s tiny and huggable. She insists that she sits in your lap. She does not lick too much (though I must admit that she licks me quite a bit, and don’t I love it!) and the nudge with her snout, when you ask her to kiss you, feels as if she has bestowed an honour on you. Her eyes are naughty and her face very innocent.
A hyper-active dog, she runs to the door when she hears the bell. But, the time I was down with high fever, bed-ridden for 3 days, she didn’t leave my side for a minute. Her ears perking every time the bell rang, but she didn’t leave me. For three days she was my constant companion. How could I not love her?
My parents called her my little lamb, for she followed me around the house. When she got pregnant, I was scared, for she was precious to me. When her pups moved in her bulging stomach, I was overjoyed, a feeling very hard to describe. When we delivered her pups, I was anxious, lest we did something wrong. And then when she ignored me, I was jealous. For a whole day she stayed with her pups. Refusing to eat. Refusing to acknowledge anyone, even me. I was hurt. And then she finally had to give in to the call of nature, she went out. But before she returned to her pups, she came to me. She asked to be picked up. And when I did, she licked me tenderly. ‘I still love you’ she said, ‘give me some time with my babies.’ Then she demanded that I put her down. And as she ran back to her pups, my eyes filled with tears, all my jealousy gone. How could I not love her?
It was difficult to leave home. And it was difficult to leave her. Every time I go back, she whines and cries for hours. Following me around, she refuses to let me out of her sight. A few times, I have called home and asked my parents to put her on the other end of the speaker or to put me on speaker phone. And then I talk to her, whisper sweet nothings. I don’t know if she realizes that it’s me on the other end. And I wish that there was some way to tell her that I miss her every single day. My baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home