Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I am not an atheist. Ok, so I am not the kind to visit temples (unless they hold some historical significance). And I don’t have a small corner in my house where I keep an idol or two that I can pray to. I must also admit that I eat beef, which is a strict no-no for Brahmins. I could claim that it is because of my father who refuses to wear his sacred thread (like other ‘good’ Brahmins do) and loves to eat beef. But that would be untrue. I just don’t believe in God the way others do. But I do pray. Impulse prayers. I pray when I am happy or I pray when I am sad. Sometimes I just pray when I remember to. I may not be all that religious but I have nothing against other people being religious. I am game for all religious celebrations especially if it implies a holiday. At least that is how I felt till last week.

Flashback…
We were allowed to go home early (at 3 pm) as Mumbai roads get completely jammed because of Ganpati immersion. Imagine! Leaving office at 3 pm. Initially the bright light stung my eyes a little. I couldn’t remember the last time I had stepped out of office in broad daylight. I reached home by 4 pm. Never having been home at that hour I was at a complete loss. I didn’t know what to do. My body clock was not tuned to being home at that hour on a weekday. I twiddled my thumbs for a while trying to decide a course of action. I decided that TV was the best option.
And then it started! The noise!!! Like I said I am all fine with Ganpati celebrations but did they have to do it that loud. It was almost like they were trying to make it loud enough for the Gods in the heavens above to hear. You cannot begin to imagine the cacophony. The music, the drums, my rattling windows and the TV volume I kept increasing. Nothing helped. Neither the cotton wool stuffed in my ears nor the two cushions I tried to bury my head in.In short, it was a disaster. I ended up watching TV (just watching since I couldn’t hear a word) and was reminded of the days of the silent movies. My roommate S and I tried to make conversation but it was too tedious trying to her lips. I finally managed to fall asleep in the wee hours of dawn. I was more tired the next day than I have been after working really late on a Monday night…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home